Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Why People Why?

Do you not shovel your sidewalks?

Last Saturday Chicago was hit with a bit of a snow storm. I think we received close to 8 inches between Saturday around noon and Sunday morning. Everything was glistening with the new fallen snow; it was a gorgeous site Sunday morning when we woke up.

Well, my opinion quickly changed when I had to walk to the el on Monday morning. I would say less than 50% of the sidewalks in my 15 minute walk to the el were shoveled. Why, I ask, do people not shovel their sidewalks? It is common courtesy to me and a nice neighborly thing to do. Now that the weather has started to warm up, all that unshoveled snow is now wet and slushy and making a mess of my pants as I walk to and from the el each day. So, my fellow blog readers, I ask that you think of your neighbors during heavy snows and any walking they might have to do on your sidewalk. Please shovel your sidewalk!

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I think you and Steve should start a business on the side as you two appear to be the only ones that shovel north and south of Chicago Ave!

Laura said...

I think that homeowners are leagally obligated to shovel their sidewalks too. Like lawncare, I believe you can get a ticket for not shoveling! Call 311 and report their asses!