I love to read, plain and simple. I am always looking for a good book and honestly don't discriminate against a particular genre; I pretty much will read anything.I have decided that I am going to start reviewing the books I do read on the blog because I always find book reviews and recommendations quite helpful when choosing a new book.
I recently finished "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold. This is the third book of hers that I have read and while I thoroughly enjoyed "Lucky" and "The Lovely Bones," I was not quite as impressed with "The Almost Moon." Am I glad I read the book? Yes! But, I didn't particularly care for the plot. It was a little disturbing to me and something I can't relate to. Alice Sebold is a great writer and often times has me thinking what I would have, could have, should have done in the situations her characters are in. I think that is a great quality in a book, as it entices the reader to keep on reading to find out what happens and the consequences to decisions that have been made. "The Almost Moon" touched my heart in a way I hope I am never touched again. I can only pray I am never faced with all the decisions the main character, Helen, had to make. One thing I did learn from the book was that you are responsible for your own actions and while others may not agree with the decisions you have made, there are always those 1 or 2 people you can confide in and will not judge.
So, would I recommend this book? Sure....I just don't think it was quite as good as "Lucky" and "The Lovely Bones." Definitely worth reading, but not lighthearted!
In Process....Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
3 comments:
I have this on hold at the library right now so I will have to talk to you after I read it. I also got halfway through eat pray love but stopped reading it.
I am starting Eat Love Pray this weekend for Book Club and then I bought Almost Moon and was going to make it my book club pick for next month, I'm at least glad that it was not horrible. We'll definitely have to talk after I read them too.
I have both of these books at home right now...just have to find some time to read them! I'll be sure to chat with you when I finish them.
Post a Comment