Wednesday, September 5, 2007

My First Live Fantasy Draft

Last night, I had the pleasure (or lack there of) of participating in my first Fantasy Football on-line draft. I thought Matt would be working late because he had to rush out of town for an audit so, being the nice wifey that I am, I did him this favor. But, noooo, he really was not working, he was actually at the Minnesota Twins game. I am still not understanding why he couldn’t do the draft…1) he was clearly not working and 2) isn’t there an Internet connection in your hotel room? Oh that’s right, you wouldn’t know because you were watching baseball. Anyway, that is beside the point!

While I did find small bits and pieces of the draft fun and humorous, I still am perplexed by the amount of time spent on Fantasy Football and the overall fascination most guys and some gals have.

A couple of things I did learn from my experience….

1)Make sure you have an hour and a half a free time to sit in front of the computer. It is not like you can read or surf the Internet while doing the draft because you constantly have to be on your toes.
2)Learn how to talk smack and be disgusting. On several occasions there was making fun of player selections and references to 90 second bathroom trips.
3)More use of the “G” word than I have heard in a long time. When all is said and done, I think pretty much everyone in the draft is “G.”
4)You have to remain calm. I found myself getting very stressed out because 1) I couldn’t keep up with all the picks and cross them off fast enough and 2) there is a time limit on your selection. I was all flustered when I couldn’t find a player and made a couple bad decisions because of this.
5)I have no idea if I did good or bad in my draft selections…the lack of football knowledge can really hurt you. Do we even have a good team?
6)Make the draft earlier….9:00 p.m. is way too late. Especially when it lasts an hour and a half…I needed to go to bed.

All in all, it was quite an experience, neither good nor bad. Good luck to all you guys out there that participated in the draft last night…May Matt Hunt win because I get half the pot, if he does (I can see my Coach purse already)!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Geoff Brown is the king of 90 second bathroom trips.

Nice draft Ali, probably 5 times better than your uninformed husband could have done.