Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I Finally Got My Hair Cut


I've needed a haircut for about two weeks. It finally happened yesterday afternoon. Just another reason Ethan is grounded when he gets home.

He's doing well, although back under the lights today. They will re-evaluate his bilirubin tomorrow morning and maybe he will be back out from under the lights. The good sign is that they did not wheel the big light into his bay, they are only using the small light attached to the incubator.

The big happenings this morning is that we were able to take him out from the incubator for Ali to feed him a bottle. A pretty awesome sight. He takes one or two bottles a day, then they use the feeding tube for the other meals. He is up to 12 cc's of fluid for every meal and will go up to 16 cc's tonight. That's about half an ounce for all of you non-metric system people out there.

Oh he's down to 1650 grams. Err, I mean roughly 3 lbs, 10 oz. Just like all babies, he will continue to lose weight for a few more days and will then start moving back up.

We are just starting to get into a routine at home - at least for this week. We come to the hospital mid-morning, then back at night. The middle is filled with running errands and the sort, trying to get the house figured out. I think we are spending some extra time with him now, as we aren't planning to come back tonight. Since we can't take him out of the light for extended periods, we figure he won't mind if we skip one night. We will use the time to rest and continue putting the house together.

That's about it for now.

-Matt

1 comment:

Mike B. said...

I think skipping a night is a good idea.

I know the first instinct of all good parents is to be there as much as possible for your newborn, but at this point I think you should really take advantage of the time that his short stay in the hospital is giving you (so sleep, organize, and relax if you can).