Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Pulled Pork

I have been in search of a good crock pot pulled pork recipe for quite sometime. I have tried the ones where you add a can of coke/root beer and just haven't been that thrilled. Well, after a little Internet search, I think I found one that is a keeper. Although I didn't think so before I added the BBQ sauce, I think the key with this recipe is the rub. Courtesy of Beantown Baker, here is the recipe:

Crock Pot Pulled Pork
Spice Rub:
1 T. ground black pepper
1-2 t. cayenne pepper
2 T. chili powder
2 T. ground cumin
2 T. dark brown sugar
1 T. dried oregano
4 T. paprika
2 T. salt
1 T. granulated sugar
1 T. ground white pepper (or increase black pepper to 2 T. if you don't have white pepper)

1 (6-8 lb.) bone in pork shoulder (I used a 3 lb. pork loin and a 4 lb. bone in pork shoulder)
1/2 t. liquid smoke (I omitted)
Whole onion, chopped (Optional)
2 c. barbecue sauce (I used an entire 23 oz. jug)

Mix all spice rub ingredients in small bowl

Massage spice rub into meat. Wrap tightly in double layer of plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours (I did mine over night) or up to 3 days.

Unwrap roast and place in slower cooker. Add liquid smoke, if using, and 1/4 - 1/2 cup water. Add onion, if so desire. Turn slow cooker to low and cook for 8-10 hours, until meat is fork tender.

Transfer roast to cutting board; discard liquid in crock pot. Pull by tearing meat into thin shreds with 2 forks. Discard fat.

Place shredded pork back in slow cooker; toss with barbecue sauce and heat on low for another 30-60 minutes, until hot. You could probably add the onion at this time if you wanted it less cooked. Serve with additional barbecue sauce.

Enjoy!

This recipe made a ton (serving at least 10 probably), but I am planning on freezing mine to be used at a later date!

No comments: